Mar 27, 2014

What Gives You the Right?

Today I'm going to let out something that's been on my mind and I might catch a lot of crap for it.

I've been seeing an abundance of Facebook posts and articles bashing people who are a size 0 lately. I read two this morning that said "I may not be a size 0 but at least I have curves..." Did you know that I wear a size 0 and have since 8th grade? That doesn't mean that I haven't gained any weight since then. It also doesn't mean that I'm squeezing myself into jeans that are too small. What it does mean is that every time I hear someone talk about how disgusting a size 0 is or how they need to eat a cheeseburger (or any of the other stupid things that are said daily), I take all those things to heart. It's as though you were saying them directly to me.

I don't know if any of you have paid attention to my pictures lately but I sure don't lack in curves in at least one department! I also struggle with different parts of my body, just like any other size does.in high school (and even now) I was constantly teased about my size. I really struggled with how my body changed when I finished sports and I started to get out of shape. You may not notice it through my clothes but underneath things sure look a lot different than they used to! I have to eat every few hours because my stomach is small. It fills up fast but empties even faster. It really sucks when you can't enjoy a full meal because you're stuffed to the point of being uncomfortable. People tell me I need to eat more or that I'm not eating enough because they only see a sliver of my day. I carry snacks with me because if I don't eat between the larger meals, I get shaky and sick. I don't exercise like I should and I eat as much as my body allows, so why is it okay for you to talk about my pants size like it's something I choose? Did you go to the store one day and say "I'm going to be a size x today," and bam, you were that size? I didn't think so, now stop acting like I did.

I understand that there are people out there who's body types are at both extremes. That doesn't give us the right to talk negatively towards them any more than it gives them the right to talk badly about you. One of the many problems about shaming someone of any size that's different than your own is that you never know the circumstances. Maybe they have a disease that causes them to gain or lose weight. Maybe there are underlying issues that they are running from. There will always be someone who is more in shape or more out of shape than you are! Every body, even within the exact same pants or dress size, is different than the next! Some people look small but are very unhealthy and out of shape, others look larger with clothes on but underneath they're toned and healthy.

STOP! Just stop judging people by their size and stop judging yourself. As long as you are happy with how you look then who cares what the tag in your pants or the scale in your bathroom says. And for crying out loud, stop making ignorant comments about other people and just live your life! It's just too short to care so much about all of this size crap. Tell someone they look beautiful today and mean it, then tell yourself the same thing. Stop caring so much about what other people think and start looking at your own heart for your happiness!

Then:




Now:




Love,
Mandy

3 comments:

  1. I think people forget that telling people they are so skinny or that being a size 0 is too little is as hurtful as telling someone they are fat and anything bigger than a size 5 is huge. A while back, I decided that telling someone they look healthy needs to become the new compliment where size is concerned, for a lot of different reasons. I think the general belief is that being so tiny means someone has an eating disorder, the same way as someone bigger than a certain size must mean someone is obese and eats too much. Everyone has such a different body composition. I will say that I would never think you were a size 0 (I hope that doesn't come across negatively). You look healthy and in shape and yes, you have curves. Thank you for sharing! A lot of people don't think about how this can affect people's body image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same way with my stomach! Small but mighty for sure. And I hear you on the thoughts about curves. I have always been bothered by the saying "Real women have curves." I agree with the premise of you should love your body type and not be ashamed of your size. But to say "real women,' denotes that those of us who do have slender bodies by no choice of our own, are somehow not real women. I think we need to focus on healthy bodies instead of body image because many campaigns out there do still single out many of the population. (PS. I for some reason didn't catch on that you went to Iowa State before now. I worked there the last three years! Yay Cyclones!)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me how you really feel! I love to hear from you so don't be afraid to give me an ear full, thanks for stopping by!