Mar 25, 2014

Chicken Parmesan Soup


Awhile back I had a craving for chicken parmesan. I pinned a bunch of recipes including chicken parm sliders and chicken parm soup. I have attempted to make the original many times but still haven't quite figured out how to get a crispy breading on the chicken (it always turns out sort of mushy). It still tastes delicious but hasn't quite had the desired effect.

Since we've been stuck in the never ending winter, I wanted to make some soup last night. I decided it was time to try the chicken parm soup recipe to see if I was any better at making that! I loved the recipe and my friend Samantha encouraged me to post the recipe after I posted the above picture to my Instagram last night. It's hard for me to post the exact recipe I made because I eye-balled some of the ingredients and I loosely followed the original recipe. If you decide to make the recipe, you make have to tweak it to your tastes or follow the original recipe. I cooked mine on the stove but the original recipe is for a slow cooker.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup Great Value pasta sauce (I think I will try tomato juice to replace this next time)
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
3 cups chicken broth
2-4 cups water (depending on how strong you want the soup to taste)
Dry onion flakes (I sprinkled a generous amount in)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese + extra for topping
1 teaspoon basil (I used dried basil)
1 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 box pasta, uncooked

Add all ingredients except pasta and chicken, cook on high heat until boiling then simmer. Chop chicken into bite size pieces and cook separately. Once fully cooked, shred and add to soup mix. Stir in uncooked pasta and cover. Simmer for 30-45 minutes or until pasta is fully cooked. Top with parmesan cheese if you'd like!

It was pretty simple to make but as I said, I eye-balled some of the ingredients and had to guess about how long to cook since I made this on the stove instead of in a slow cooker. If you have more time to cook, you can add the chicken to the soup mix immediately and cook in the soup instead of separately. I found the original recipe through Pinterest here if you'd like to check it out and compare. Hope you enjoy!

Love,
Mandy

3 comments:

  1. This sounds awesome but I have to admit I'll probably make it in the slow cooker...I just can't get enough of my crock pot! :)
    -Marley
    http://www.afandlove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! So glad you posted! I already pinned it. It looks pretty easy too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds delicious! I just pinned in to pinterest and I can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me how you really feel! I love to hear from you so don't be afraid to give me an ear full, thanks for stopping by!