Jan 31, 2014

On Being an Adult

I have officially finished my first week as a full time nanny! Time to celebrate!

Since this job came out of nowhere and I started two days after interviewing, it's all been sort of a blur. My boss called me last night to say that she had a fever and she didn't want me to catch whatever sickness she'd picked up so I ended up with today off!

I told myself I was still going to get up at 5:30 (even though I've been getting up at 5:00 all week) so I'd stay in my routine. Who was I kidding? I woke up at 10:00 this morning and it felt amazing! I was used to getting up between 8:00 and 9:30 so getting up at 5:00 has not been fun.


All I want to do is lay around, watch Netflix, and snuggle with this little guy today. I'm still mentally transitioning from college kid to grown up and it's weird to feel like an adult! I've been obsessing over weird household features lately and instead of laying around today, I want to take advantage of my day off by getting some stuff done around the apartment. Cleaning out/organizing my closets and grocery shopping, sign me up! I don't know about you but that screams adult to me!

Everyone told me I would hate being out in the real world working full time. That I would hate it and end up wanting to go back to school. Is it exhausting? Absolutely. Do I feel like I don't have time for myself after work? Sometimes. Yet this is my happy place! I'm happier working my butt off than I was being lazy in school. There will be days I'm sure that I'll miss that care free time but I'm already an adult. Why not embrace it since I can't stop it?

No one likes paying bills. The feeling that comes from paying off a debt though is stellar! Thanks to Erin Sallie & Perkins, I have so much motivation to push through and pay it all off. Yes buying groceries can suck but I love going. I'm trying to meal plan so I can cook for my family and even try to save some money with coupons. Building up a savings account and setting up a working budget can be frustrating but I like taking on that challenge!

People my age think I'm crazy but I'm doing what makes me happy now instead of doing something because it was the logical next step in life (which is a whole other post that I'll write some day). I don't get joy out of blowing all my money on clothes and alcohol. I don't have fun going out because I either get ditched by my single friends or I'm treated like a leper when "friendly" guys find out I'm married. I love hosting dinner parties in my tiny ass apartment and having game nights or dance parties in my living room. Would you believe that I'm only 20? I've never felt like my age and I think that's why the college lifestyle doesn't suit me. If age is just a number when you're older, why can't the same be true at my age?

Just because adulthood doesn't come with as much carefree fun doesn't mean it isn't still fun. It's all in how you look at your life and find the positives! Being an adult makes me happy! Being married is the best decision I've ever made! I'm taking on these new challenges with a positive mindset so I can enjoy my new life instead of  trying to stop myself from growing up.

Sorry I got all serious on you today! Happy Friday y'all!

Love,
Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me how you really feel! I love to hear from you so don't be afraid to give me an ear full, thanks for stopping by!