Dec 13, 2013

Finals Week & Playing Mama Bear

Happy Friday!

I'm especially excited because this is my last Friday of the semester! To say I'm over this semester is a major understatement. I have a pretty easy finals lineup this year. Two open book finals, a test that's not cumulative, and a presentation that I might not even have to present because how can 80+ people present in 2 hours?

So, yesterday I had the day off from classes and I wanted to be productive. My entire college life, I've naturally taken over the mama role with all of my friends. I've frequently heard "yes mom.." coming from their mouths haha. One of my favorite things to do is bring them little surprises. It probably has to do a lot with the fact that my love language is receiving gifts but I've always loved to make little things to brighten someone's day. I frequently find myself baking tons of cookies/bars/cupcakes and then quickly dividing it up and dropping it off at their doorsteps!

Most of my friends have a crazy hectic finals schedules this semester. Many of them are stressed to the brink of crying and meltdowns which I have experienced more than once! So I start brainstorming, what can I do to brighten their moods even just a little? Care packages! I was putting one together for M and his buddies anyway so I just made an assembly line and packed them all up! Each one was a little different from the next. I made 6 care packages in all for 10+ people in just one afternoon! Then I spent a few hours delivering them. Can I just say that taking care of my friends like that literally makes my heart so full I thought it might explode! Never have I felt more in place than I do when I'm taking care of the people I love.

When I look back at the end of my life, if I was a great mom (even if it ends up being just to my friends) and a loving wife then I will have accomplished everything I ever wanted! There are not many things that make me feel as happy as those two things do!

I thought I'd share a little of what I put into the packages in case y'all want to send a care package to a college student in your life. ;)

It started out with the thought "I'm just going to bake a ton of chocolate chip cookies, that will be good enough!" Yet I never let myself go the simple route. Back and forth in the grocery aisles I went, thinking about all the fun things I'd want if I got a care package. I was giddy to get home and get them put together!
Care Package

I mixed up the packages to make each one more personal but they all included coffee, homemade cookies, juice pouches, and ring pops. That meant sugar, something warm, and a little bit of energy to pull themselves together! I also hand wrote each of them a note on some fun Christmas cards I picked up from the dollar section at Target. Some of them were in $1 bowls from Walmart, others were in Christmas gift bags. All extra portable which was fantastic when I delivered them!

Gigantic bag of choc chips that started it all!
Mmm, cookie dough! I was so excited to make them that I ended up eating my lunch cold..
Four of the six packages just before I re-organized them!
So what are you waiting for? Put together a care package for a family member, friend, or even as a random act of kindness! I guarantee it will put a smile on someone's face. :)

What would you want in a care package?
Love,
Mandy

2 comments:

  1. You are awesome!!! I'm sure that your family and friends really appreciated the effort! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. good work my dear and best of luck to you!
    -whit

    ReplyDelete

Tell me how you really feel! I love to hear from you so don't be afraid to give me an ear full, thanks for stopping by!