Nov 7, 2013

Today

Today I did something that I don't think I've ever done in my life.

I looked at myself in the mirror and I was happy with what I saw. Not because I've made any major changes to my diet or exercise and not because I worked hard to look the way I did. I looked at the body God gave me and I knew that this is how He wanted me to look.


Growing up, people constantly told me I looked skinny. Always telling me to eat more, even saying that I was too skinny (just as hurtful as being called the opposite). Then puberty hit me and I gained some curves. I'm not saying I gained a lot of weight but people definitely stopped telling me I looked skinny. Call it shallow but I started to think since people weren't telling me I was skinny anymore that that meant I was fat. Ridiculous now that I think of it!

I see nothing wrong with putting in the hard work to improve your body! I wish I had the motivation to eat healthy all the time and to work out on a regular basis. What I have a problem with is when people look at their bodies day in and day out fully hating what they see. Even worse, when they put in the effort to work out but they can always be a little stronger, a little better than where they are.

Where does it stop?

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not perfect. Most days I think "Man, I should have started working out like yesterday." But today? Today I looked at myself and said "You are perfect the way you are." Truth be told, I've never said that to myself. Most people have never said that to themselves. It felt good amazing to say it and believe it.

Life is too short for us to all sit around obsessing over someone else's idea of what we should look like! Chances are, the thing you hate about your body is the thing someone else wishes they had. If I told you my weight or pants size you would probably say "Well of course she's saying this, that's so little." I hear that often. But at 5'2" that weight sits a little differently than it does on a 5'9" frame and people tend to forget that. We're all made differently, no two people have the exact same body type. We have such a flawed version of what we look like that we probably wouldn't even recognize it if an exact replica of us walked by. Love your body! There are so many better, more productive things we could be doing than dwelling on our flaws.

Eat well and get an occasional workout in but love who you are in the process! My husband thinks I'm sexy and today I feel it too! Those are the only opinions that truly matter to me. I love to eat healthy but I also have a killer sweet tooth. I hate to work out but it gives one hell of an adrenaline rush.

Be who you are and be proud of it! Don't ever let someone who hates their own body make you hate yours.

Love,
Mandy

4 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful. Thank you for sharing and inspiring all to love their body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thist post is so great!! I love that you are happy with who you are and notice the perfect body that God gave you :) So important! I've definitely struggled with body image issues, especially in high school and early in college, and I'm so happy to say now that I am perfectly content and love what I see in the mirror!! We're all beautiful :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really, truly love this post, Mandy. We usually beat ourselves up and are our biggest critics ... it's refreshing to see a woman comfortable in her own skin and inspiring other's to do the same. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Tell me how you really feel! I love to hear from you so don't be afraid to give me an ear full, thanks for stopping by!