Nov 5, 2013

Disappointment

Y'all, I had really high hopes. And then the blog world let me down.

My last post was about writing to soldiers in need during basic training. I've had quite a bit of support from blogging since we started out journey with the military. Many of these people have their own connections to the military. I thought, who better to understand what these men and women are going through than those who've seen what it's like.

But you know what happened?

I got two emails from that post. Two. Neither of those sweet ladies were bloggers that I regularly hear from either. Not one of the bloggers I regularly read, comment on, email with has said a word to me about wanting to help out. And I'm ashamed. Maybe I over-estimated the willingness of people to take five minutes out of their day to brighten someone else's. I had a few people email from my Instagram post and one dear friend who also put a huge shout-out on Facebook to help. Even people I know in real-life have failed to help out.

When whiney posts complaining about first-world problems get more attention than ones like this, I really just shake my head and wonder what happened to all the good people in the world.

So, since no one else has stepped up to the plate I've set out to do it myself. Fifty envelopes sit waiting for soldiers I will never meet. I've filled a few already and I'm determined to get the rest done too.

People speak so highly of the blogging world, myself included, but I definitely need to readjust my expectations.

Rant over.
-Mandy

2 comments:

  1. Did you get the one I sent? I can send a few more your way if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey hun - I'm fighting a cold and then TJ asked me to stay off of blogland for a couple of days, so I haven't been able to check in. I'm definitely interested in participating!! Please let me know if it's too late.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me how you really feel! I love to hear from you so don't be afraid to give me an ear full, thanks for stopping by!