Aug 21, 2013

Honey Mustard Chicken & Fried Rice

Guys, I used to hate rice. I thought the texture of the stuff was the grossest thing for years. My mom used to only make rice for the rest of the family when I was sick because she knew I wouldn't eat it.

Now, I cannot get enough of the stuff. You see, my husband loves rice. He loves Chinese food!  He's been trying to make me eat it since we started dating. He just could never convince me to eat it because it seemed like a waste when I didn't eat half the meal (rice). Bless his heart, he still married me even though we never ate one of his favorite foods! A few months ago I decided to try it again. I didn't like it but i thought wow, that wasn't as bad as I remembered. So I tried it a few more times and bam! Suddenly it's one of my favorite things to eat!

I haven't quite mastered how to cook rice so it's not sticky, overcooked, or undercooked. I've been trying different things but mostly sticking to minute rice because that stuff is practically impossible to screw up. I wanted to try and make fried rice like the kind you get in restaurants but with a little twist.

Here's what I came up with:
2 cups rice (uncooked)
1 tbsp oil
2 eggs
4 cups chicken broth
2 tbsp soy sauce
3 cups corn (I used frozen)
2 chicken breasts, chopped 
honey & mustard

Start off by slightly browning the rice in the oil. Then push it off to the sides and scramble the eggs in the middle. Once the eggs are fully cooked, add the corn, soy sauce, and 3 cups of chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. At this point, add the final cup of chicken broth and simmer for another 5 minutes if you feel the rice is not cooked enough. Set to the side.

Mix the honey and mustard to taste and toss in the chicken until completely covered. You can either bake the chicken or toss in a frying pan until completely cooked. 

Throw it on top of the rice and you've got some delicious Chinese food for supper!






Hope you love this recipe as much as M does!
-Mandy

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I think my husband would love this! I'm going to have to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me how you really feel! I love to hear from you so don't be afraid to give me an ear full, thanks for stopping by!