Jun 20, 2013

We Are Proud


I know it's been a little while since I last posted. My mind has been a little preoccupied over the last week. This is something that I've been thinking about posting for the last month. I thought it would be so easy to come up with the words because it's been consuming my thoughts lately.. Yet here I am, at a loss for words. Yesterday made things official. My husband is now a member of the United States Army Reserve. I am now a part of the Army family as well. We've definitely been learning the phrase "hurry up and wait" and flexibility because there have been a few bumps a long the way, changing things at the very last minute.

This is a crazy, exciting adventure that we've stepped into! At first I was very apprehensive. Although we've talked about the Army many times (my father-in-law has been a part of the Army for about 30 years), this is the first time we've ever had the serious talk about M joining. We were inspired to talk about it by two of our best friends who are going through the process already. They've handled everything so well and it made me realize that it's a dream we're willing to follow!

Now, almost two months after we started this process, things are official. M was sworn in yesterday morning by his dad. That in itself was pretty amazing to see! I think the whole thing felt a little surreal. I'm such a crier, yet not one tear was shed when he was sworn in. I'm just proud! Yes, the separation will definitely suck but how could you not be proud and supportive of a courageous decision like that? In a few months he will be heading off to basic training followed by advanced training. This will be the first time ever that we have gone that long without seeing each other. We've done semi-long distance, only seeing each other every other weekend, but this is full-blown long distance. Not something I was really prepared for when I said I do, but it's an adventure that I'm ready to go through with my husband.

Unlike my husband, I have basically no knowledge of anything military related. After M met with the recruiter, he'd come back using all this lingo I couldn't understand. The only thing I could do was hop on the good ol' internet and start researching. And that's exactly what I've been doing for the last few months. Sometimes I wonder if that's good or bad! I'm trying to be honest with myself because I know it's going to be tough work. I'm not even the one who has to go through training! I've read a lot of stories about experiences from basic training and of course you worry about what they'll go through. I know God has been by our side through the whole process so far and I know we'll be leaning on Him in the future! Kaitlyn from Wifessionals and Casey from We Took the Road Less Traveled have been amazingly helpful, answering every question I've had as well!

As I drown myself in articles about the Army I am hoping I can ask for a favor from all of you, friends. As we go through the next months and years of our life with the Army, please don't hesitate to say a prayer or think positive thoughts for us and our families. If you have experience with the Army (or any military branch) please tell me everything you know! I know each person's time with the military is so different from anyone else's but all information is helpful. Don't hesitate to send me links to articles or blogs or emails of anyone you can think of! I'm a newbie to this huge world and I would love all the help and advice I can get!

I'm unsure of where this blog will go over the coming months. This is a huge part of our journey so I will talk about it but I also want to lead a normal life while M is away. I promise to still talk about other boring life events, don't worry! We need all the love and support we can get, so where better to share it than the blogging community. For now, I am a proud Army wife and we're starting our journey Army strong!



Love,
Mandy

4 comments:

  1. I will definitely be praying for you and M during this transition in your life. God has great things in store for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO excited for you girl! I'll def keep you guys in my prayers. It will be a huge change I'm sure but a good one for you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I can't wait to see what your life brings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wisconsin Army Reserve? My husband is WI National Guard and has been for a while. Congrats to your husband! I'd love for you to come check out my blog, if you have a chance.

    -wHiT
    www.blacklittlebutton.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Tell me how you really feel! I love to hear from you so don't be afraid to give me an ear full, thanks for stopping by!