Mar 6, 2013

Scenes from the kitchen

I have never been one to get super into holidays. I always loved Christmas decorating but that's about the extent of it. Now that I have my own place, I'm starting to get a lot more interested. Then I realized that seasonal decorations are expensive unless you buy them post holiday and save them for next year.

So I thought, hey I have a ton of scrapbook paper, glue, and scissors. I'll just make my own! Except I'm always missing something that I need. So then I may put up a few things here and there but it can hardly be called decorating for the holiday.

Enter: baking.

I will gladly bake up 10 different desserts that are holiday themed without even thinking twice about it. I always have the supplies on hand because I am obsessed with baking. Sometimes I don't even bake because I want the dessert, I just do it to do something. That's when friends get lovely little presents. Let's be honest here, if I kept all of the things around that I baked we would either be morbidly obese or a lot of food would go to waste.

Yesterday was one of those it sounds like a good time to bake days so I started browsing my Pinterest boards. Then I realized I overpinned Valentine's treats and not really any other holiday. Well, shoot.. So I pull out the basic desserts we like to have and get started with those. M could eat brownies every day of his life (I even vowed to make him brownies constantly on our wedding day) so those were a must. I also wanted to use some food coloring because I love changing the color of things just for fun. I love cake but it's not very quick to eat so cupcakes are another favorite!

Since St. Patty's day is the closest holiday, I figured I'd go for the green. Green, vanilla cupcakes and brownies with mint pieces fulfilled my urge for a holiday that I never celebrate. Sorry Irish friends, it's just not very high on my list of importance!

I wrote up a few cards for the friends I'd be delivering goodies to later on. Decided I still had a little too much energy so I crafted some pretties to put on for decoration. Productive procrastination is never bad, right?










How do you celebrate St. Patty's day?

xoxo,
Mandy

2 comments:

  1. I'm kind of wishing you lived a little closer, then I could help hubby eat those brownies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The past three years, we've had an "Irish Car Bomb" tradition for St. Patty's day (oh yea, and I put a corned beef in the slow cooker for husband). I make the cupcakes (Guinness chocolate cake with whiskey ganache and Bailey's frosting)while Husband makes the drinks. I've actually started having people in my life ASK if I'm still planning to make the cupcakes. It's kind of a thing in my world these days.

    I love your green cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me how you really feel! I love to hear from you so don't be afraid to give me an ear full, thanks for stopping by!