Feb 12, 2013

The Power of a Hug

I went back to my hometown this past weekend for the first time in a month. It's always great to be home and visit family! Many times I feel like I can never get all of the things accomplished that I want to while I'm home. Pick and choose! That's the motto I try to follow because it's not possible to do it all. This time I went shopping with Mom on Saturday. We spent a few hours in a couple of stores just trying on a ton of clothes and we were both pretty successful. It was great to spend that time with her, we haven't done that in forever! Then we spent the rest of the night with my soon-to-be sister making outfits out of all Mom's clothes.

The next day was my grandma's 70th birthday party. Since I wasn't able to go to Christmas, there was no way I was missing this one! One thing that's guaranteed with family get-togethers is constant laughs. Tons of stories are shared and it's fun to go back and forth between the women and the men. 

I didn't even come close to fitting everyone in this picture.  Big family, small camera..

One thing that I always do, no matter what the occasion, is give hugs before I leave. I'm a natural born hugger. If you've ever spent a good amount of time with me, I've probably hugged you more than once! I even hug people as I'm meeting them for the first time so sorry if you're uncomfortable with that. I believe this started because my mom always made us give hugs to each family member before we left. It only takes a few minutes but it's something I truly love doing. 

After losing both my aunt and my grandpa on the same side within a year, I came to appreciate that little act even more. No matter how much time I spend with that person before I leave, I always give them a hug and have a little conversation. I will always remember the last thing my grandpa said to me after I gave him a hug. He was especially goofy that day and it always puts a smile on my face to think about it!

Among all the things that have become traditions in our family, giving hugs is my favorite.

What are some family traditions that you cherish?

xoxo,
Mandy

1 comment:

Tell me how you really feel! I love to hear from you so don't be afraid to give me an ear full, thanks for stopping by!