Feb 6, 2013

Melodies for the Soul

Pitch Perfect soundtrack...get out of my head!
Some days all it takes is flipping on my ipod or Pandora and it's instant relaxation. Other times I just need a little background noise to help me concentrate while I study. Now and again I use music to drown out the world around me.

I used to have thousands of songs in my iTunes that I didn't think I could possibly get rid of, I might need it the second it gets deleted. I knew that was never the case but whenever I forced myself to hit delete, instant panic ensued. Then one day my computer suddenly keeled over and 95% of said music vanished. Although I wanted to cry, I used it as a reason to start over my collection. I also started to think twice before downloading a song. Do I really need that? Will I still like this song next month? The answer, more often than not, was no. When this happened, I just used Youtube instead of downloading it.

My music tastes have changed, gone back to what they were before only to change again. I used to be obsessed with country because that's what was always on the radio when my parents drove somewhere. Then I went through the pretty typical pop/hip hop/whatever you want to label that music as phase during middle school and part of high school. That was sort of my rebellion, when I realized I could listen to what ever I wanted to. Then I went back to country because I realized it was pretty fitting to my life situation. When I came to college my tastes sort of shifted again. I still listen to a lot of country, some of the pop/hip hoppy stuff, but thanks to my favorite roomie I listen to a lot of Joshua Radin now too. I also love Christina Perri and most songs from all of the Twilight soundtracks. Call it an obsession or whatever you want, that music is good! I still love the oldies too, the stuff that brings me back to middle school or high school because I had a lot of fun.

I have workout mixes, studying playlists, roadtrip compilations, pretty much a collection for every opportunity, but my favorite is shuffle. I love hitting shuffle and just seeing where the music takes me. Sometimes it's an emotional roller coaster and other times it's a flashback to a favorite memory. I often forget to stop and listen to the heart and soul of the music. Even when I'm using music to distract myself, I'm singing the words but not really taking them in. I think that's why I can listen to a song 100 times without realizing how horrible or fitting that song really is. 

This morning while waiting for a class to start, I just flipped on Pandora and got lost in the music. I took the words to heart and really got into each one. I caught myself dancing, singing, and humming multiple times. The people walking past me probably thought I was nuts but I could care less. It was a great way to start my morning and I feel like I'm in a much better mood now than I was before I put my headphones in. 

Whatever your mood may be, take at least 10 minutes every day to just get lost in your favorite songs and I promise your mood will improve!

I'd love to hear what some of your favorite songs are, leave me a comment so I can check them out!

xoxo,
Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me how you really feel! I love to hear from you so don't be afraid to give me an ear full, thanks for stopping by!