Jan 24, 2013

Lollipop Moments

Today is a new day!

A hot, hot pink scarf and stretchy pants kind of happy day!

 I'm so thankful for that, yesterday was definitely not my day. But as I said it would, that mood has passed and I'm optimistic about today! It may be about 5 degrees outside with full-force winds but I woke up with enough time to make coffee before I had to get on the bus so I'm having a good day already!

Today is sort of a two subject post. I started writing a post yesterday but my mood got the better of me and I posted something else instead. It's something I really wanted to talk about so I want to try again today. The second part is just something I woke up this morning and felt I needed to work on.

A friend of mine wrote an article for our school paper that really hit home. You can read the article here but the basic point is called the lollipop moment. You'll have to read the article to understand why it's called that but it talks about how something so small that you do for another person may have a major effect on their life. Whether you know it or not, you change that person's path. 

That's huge! You changed someone's life by just taking a moment to do something small. How crazy is that?

We often get so busy in our own lives and daily struggles that we forget sometimes other people need that little boost in their day as much as you do. You may think "I just don't have time today" but it takes 30 seconds to do something small. I can tell you from experience, if you're having a stressful day, just reach out to a friend and say hello. That little conversation helps you just as much as it does them. Hold the door for the person behind you. Compliment a stranger! Make a card for a friend who is struggling. These tiny things take no time at all but have lasting effects.

The only enjoyable way to get through the ups and downs of life is to share them with others! We need to be there for each other daily. Talking through someone else's problems just may help you with your own. Random acts of kindness are the best way to brighten your day. You feel great doing them and the one who receives them will have a better day too! Don't wait for something to happen, just make it a part of your daily routine. Have those lollipop moments!

Now for the short subject I wanna get out there. Reconnecting with lost friendships is a struggle. You have to decide whether it's worth the effort and how it impacts your life. Over the summer last year I lost two friends whom I thought I was close with. It took many months to work through it all but I believe we're all at a place where we want to fix things. I've heard a ton of advice on both sides, mostly negative, but ultimately it's my decision. It's a lot easier to stop hating someone and just try to embrace things. 

Hate takes such a toll on your life without you realizing it. Most likely you won't even notice until you get rid of the hate. That's exactly how I feel! I hadn't realized how much it was weighing on my mind until it was gone. It has saved me a lot of energy to forgive and move on. Not something I do easily but I'm working on it. 

Today I'm making the effort to reach out and fix things. I hope you can do the same with your life!

xoxo,
Mandy

2 comments:

  1. I reconnected with old friends as well this past year and it was a HUGE weight lifted off my shoulders. I completely know what you mean. I too, had people tell me it was a bad idea also(my bf didn't like the idea of it) but when I explained that it's what I needed and overall it helped me, people started to understand and be ok with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that! I'm hoping it can be a great part of my year to get things turned around. It's frustrating when you feel it's what best for your life but it's completely understandable when people are concerned for you. Thanks for the heartfelt reply, I noticed it showed you're a no reply blogger. I'd love to talk more with you but I need your email :)

      Delete

Tell me how you really feel! I love to hear from you so don't be afraid to give me an ear full, thanks for stopping by!