Dec 28, 2012

That List Everyone Hates

Yes it's time for those New Year's resolutions. The ones that we all make but let's be honest, never make it past the first few weeks of January unless you're really lucky. I think my problem is I always throw them together on the last day of the year. They're super vague and stuff I know my lazy ass will never accomplish.

This time I've been thinking about mine over the last two months. The things I never accomplished this year because I was all ga-ga over wedding stuff. Things that have become important to me. Things I want to get back into the habit of doing.

So, here is my list for 2013! I like to make them extra long so I at least give myself a chance of accomplishing some of them

1. Be more spontaneous
Sneaking into the pool at our hotel the night before State Cheerleading
I used to be the most spontaneous person and lately I've been feeling quite like a grandma. It's fun to have plans to look forward to but I want more impromptu events in my life.

2. Get back to my "cheerleading" body
I'm the cheeser in the bottom right corner
Or my high school body. Whichever you would like to call it. I know this one is lame because everyone does it and most people fail. I know I'm better off to do it now because it's an uphill battle and the farther I fall the harder it will be. I really haven't gained more than 5 pounds over the past few years but I feel really out of shape. I would love to have my abs back and feel fairly confident in a swimsuit. I've lived the lazy college student life and thankfully I didn't pack on the full 15 pounds! There are two gyms on campus including one where most of the machines have personal TV's (best motivation for me) so I really don't have an excuse. Time to get off my lazy buns and do something. Plus, I would really like to be in tip-top shape for my first trip to Florida in 3 months!

3. Become more organized
from barelymommy.blogspot.com
I'm seriously the most unorganized person ever. I have such good intentions but they never last more than a week. This rings especially true with my blog. I plan to post every day but then I either can't think of something or I just forget. So in order to help with this I've already started a blog calendar and a daily life calendar. I'm much more productive when my day is filled with things I need to get done rather than free time where I should be doing things. Free time = Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Blogger, Repeat. I have my class and work schedule finished so now I'm scheduling in blog time and workout time among a few other things. I found awesome blog planner printouts here and here. The personal calendars I love are here and here {the second one printed out sort of funky so I'm going to try the first one}.

4. Make a better effort to stay in contact with friends/reconnect with old friends
Bachelorette party..nuff said
Over this past year I've lost contact with most of my high school friends. I got pretty good at keeping in contact pre-wedding but then I sort of got caught up in the whole newlywed thing {sorry friends!}. This past semester I didn't live around any of my friends from freshman year so I didn't have much contact with them either. Although I hate feeling like I'm the one who always initiates the conversations, I feel even worse when I'm stubborn and then we don't talk at all. I'm going to work on being the one to get in touch at least once a week with all of my friends.

5. Learning to be a good wife
We are never serious. Wedding day wouldn't have been complete without a cake smash!
Being a wife is absolute unexplored territory for me. Although I'm dying to have kids like right this second, M and I have decided that college comes first. So while we're still somewhat free of obligations I want to learn to be the best wife I can for my husband. There are tons of ways to be a cookie cutter wife but I don't want that. I want to know what M needs from me as a wife and how I can serve God through my wifely duties. 

6. Serve at least 1 charity
These kids are practically my little siblings, but I'd love to fill that big sister role for someone
I want to join Big Brothers, Big Sisters. This has been a goal of mine for quite a while. While I live in a bigger town it's something I can actually achieve. This year I'm going to find out what I can do to get involved. I also was really affected by a presentation on child trafficking in my human sexuality class and I really want to get involved with that. I know two charities is a HUGE goal for one year but I'm really hoping I can accomplish them this year. {If you have any information you can give me about either subject or other charities you're involved in that would be great!}

7. Grow in my faith

I feel like a lot of kids get distanced from their faith while figuring out who they are. I know of many people who haven't but I was not one of them. I've been really bad over the past few years about diligently exercising my faith and attending church. I pray and talk to God every day but that has been about the extent of it. I went on a mission trip as a freshman in high school and it was one of the most life changing experiences I ever had.
This year I want to attend a service at least every other Sunday. I want to actively read the Bible and grow in my faith and understanding. I would love to do more mission work also.

8. Find my place
I hope photography can be a passion of mine over the next year
I feel like I just haven't quite discovered who I am. I want to find my place in this world. Figure out what I'm meant to do with my life. I especially want to find my place at college. I want to be involved in something I can be really passionate about. I've been somewhat afraid to put myself out there and find something I love. I haven't made any new friends this past semester and that makes me really sad. I want to learn something new about myself. I went to college certain of what my major was going to be. I switched after my first semester. Now I'm a full year into my new major and although I love kids I'm still not sure what I want to do with my future in this major. I feel like I just haven't figured it out yet. Maybe that's okay, I'm only 19. But I would really like to find something this year that makes me feel like I'm meant to be there.

9. Encourage others

I love the blog world. I feel like it has helped me realize a lot of things about myself over the past few months. One thing I've realized is that we all need a little bit of encouragement. My biggest goal, above all the other resolutions this year, is just to constantly encourage others. God has granted me a lot of support among other things this past year and now I want to pay it forward.


These are my resolutions for the next 365 days. They may be a long shot but I'm hoping 2013 leads me to be a better person. I would love to hear what some of your resolutions are this year! Good luck and may 2013 be a prosperous year for you all!

xoxo, Mandy

disclaimer: images 1-2,4-6 belong to me, images 7-9 are from google

6 comments:

  1. Awesome resolutions! I just stumbled across your blog and am a new follower! Congrats on getting married!
    Maia @newlywedhappenings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the number 2 resolution, because I want too xD
    new follower from the blog hop

    visit my blog if you don't mind ^^
    beautyfoodlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your resolutions!! #8 is something I definitely relate--I love that I'm not the only one still searching! Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I found you through the I love my Blog. Please stop by and say hi when you get a minute.. Happy New Year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your reso's too. I found ya on the "I love my post" hop & i'm following ya through Twitter {@TheCraftySide}. I hope you are having a great Sunday!

    XOXO
    Nikki
    www.TheCraftySideOfSarcasm.com

    ReplyDelete

Tell me how you really feel! I love to hear from you so don't be afraid to give me an ear full, thanks for stopping by!