Dec 1, 2012

Puppy Training

Over the next two weeks I'm not sure how much I'll be able to post. I have "dead" week and finals week so I'll be concentrating on that. I may still post all the time or I may not post at all. I'm just not sure.

Today I'm in need of some advice.

We are potty training our puppy. We've had him for about 2 1/2 months and we still haven't even somewhat successfully trained him. The first week we had him, he barely went inside at all. Then it was like someone flipped a switch and he's been pretty bad about it. He's been crate trained and hasn't gone in his crate since the first night we had him. A few weeks ago we bought two child gates in hopes that those could be used to train him. We also started using them to have him out while we're at class.

When we leave him to go to class we have gates up so he can run around in the kitchen but not any of the carpeted rooms. He hasn't gone to the bathroom in the kitchen while we're at class but once we come home and take the gates down he always seems to go in there. It's like he knows the kitchen is his space while we're gone but then when we're home he doesn't think it is.

He's gotten better about signaling when he has to go. He usually sits down by the door and often whines if he needs to go. We try to take him out at least once every hour but it doesn't always help. We'll take him outside and he'll go but within 5 minutes of coming back in he'll go #2 in the house. Sorry that was sort of graphic but it's a problem.

We've tried giving him treats and praise but that doesn't seem to be helping. We would like to train him using puppy pads indoors so that when we're in class he still has a place to go. However if there is anything paper on the floor he rips it to shreds. I'm debating taping it to the floor.

Do you have any advice on puppy training or anything that has worked for you? We need your help!

xoxo Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me how you really feel! I love to hear from you so don't be afraid to give me an ear full, thanks for stopping by!