Dec 4, 2012

Merry Christmas all!

Excuse me while I go on sort of a vent/rant here. As I've been looking through blog after blog over the past few weeks, I've noticed something sort of funny. People are either very out in the open about their faith or they absolutely don't mention it at all.

I grew up believing in God without attending a church until I was about 8 or 9. It was then I became baptized and joined the Lutheran church. Now I identify as Christian because I attend both Lutheran and Non-Denominational services. My faith has always been a big part of my life and I've had a fight or two with people who've tried to challenge my faith. What amazes me is how judgmental people are about those that are openly Christian or any other religion. I'm constantly getting the impression that because I'm Christian everyone thinks I'm anti-abortion and anti-gay among other stereotypes. I've also learned through college that while we should be accepting of all religions/cultures/races that practically the only way to honor everyone is to just not celebrate anything.

For example, in class we've had many discussions over Christmas. There is a giant tree on Campus that is decorated with lights, which I would assume is a Christmas tree. I've been told that it's not right to have that because not everyone celebrates Christmas so it may be offensive.

However, to just take away all signs of one religion because it may not include everyone seems ridiculous to me! Why can't we just have symbols of all the different holidays celebrated this time of year? I find it offensive that just because my holiday isn't celebrated by everyone I'm just supposed to hide my joy in celebrating the day our Lord was born.

Part of what sparked this post was this link on Facebook. I've also noticed that it's nearly impossible to find things that say Merry Christmas anymore, it's all happy holidays. Our efforts to include all cultures equally have just excluded all cultures. I for one would love to know more about how other cultures celebrate certain holidays but if no one is allowed to display their holiday symbols in such public places it's pretty hard to get any of that information.

This is why I've joined a blog connection all about Christmas posts. Lashes and Beard has joined up with a few other blogs to host a Christmas blog hop and I think it's a great idea! I haven't had many Christmas posts yet but I'm working on some of my 25 days of Christmas posts.

I'll get off my soapbox now. Just remember, whichever holiday you celebrate this time of year, celebrate proudly! We shouldn't have to hide something we're so excited and passionate about.

xoxo Mandy

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping in to say hi!! I tried to respond to your comment but your email isn't linked to your blogger profile, boo! ;) hehe.

    I totally agree, MERRY CHRISTMAS! :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully it's fixed now, thanks for mentioning that!
      Merry Christmas! :)

      Delete
  2. I just found your blog and I am lovin' it!

    I completely agree with everything you've said above, Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree and this is a great post! You know what? I'm offended that everyone else is always offended!!! LOL. It is just petty and the reason it happens so much these days is because people get away with it. We spend way too much time trying to be politically correct or tolerant. Not that those are bad things, but like you said, we are offended that we are supposed to hide our celebrations... celebrations that have been national and international traditions for a balillion years (just kidding with the balillion...I just like to make those words up). Why is everyone offended now? And how in the *bleep* does a TREE offend someone?! You know?! Obviously I'm pretty passionate about this subject, too! :)
    Oh, and I don't like the "Christian" stereotypes, either. Because I'm a Christian I "hate" gay people. OKAY. Honestly, Christians are basically the minorities these days and are actually more condemned than most other groups anymore. Obviously I could go on all day so I'll stop :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me how you really feel! I love to hear from you so don't be afraid to give me an ear full, thanks for stopping by!