Dec 12, 2012

Bloggy Overindulgence

Blog hops are some of the greatest things I've found blogging so far. They are one of the quickest ways to find a ton of blogs that you might have something in common with.

Confession time: I may have gone a little overboard with the blog hops. Not that joining a bunch of them was a bad idea but I thought "hey, if I follow a ton of blogs they'll all follow back!" Not how it works. There are quite a few lovely ladies who did return the favor! I fear that since my blog is so little still that people come check it out, look at how many people are following, and don't give me a chance.

That's not the main point of this though. I'm just wondering how everyone else out in the blog world deals with this. Do you follow a ton of people through these hops? Do you ever stop following them later because you don't have anything in common? I've found that I can't keep track of the blogs I actually enjoy reading because I have so many on my reading list. But I would love to check out some of the new blogs too!

Being new to blogging, I still don't know a lot. Is there a way to categorize these or am I just out of luck? Help this poor noob out everyone!

In the next few days I'm going to start a new series of posts about blogs that have helped or inspired me in some way. If you have any blogs you love that you think I should check out, feel free to let me know!

xoxo Mandy

4 comments:

  1. That is a great question. I don't think there is a way to categorize them, and I wish there was. I too follow a TON of blogs. So much so that I lose track of who is who. But, I am now finally getting the hang of it. It just takes a while.

    And I hear ya on the "I will follow you, in hopes that you'll do the same". Does not work. And I too used to think that my low number of followers meant that people did not want to follow me. But, I actually love being one of the first followers of a new blog. It's fun to watch a blog grow, even if it's not my own. And usually new bloggers have fresh thoughts and ideas. At least in my opinion.

    Another thing I've learned... it's not necessarily the number of followers you have that matters. It's how many TRUE readers you have out of that number. You could have 858235 followers, but how many people are actually reading and commenting and collaborating with you? You know?

    Loved this post. I'm posting something similar on Friday, so this totally caught my eye. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love blog hops. That is a good way to get new followers but in all truth it will just take time to grow. One thing you could do is make a blog button and then try and find some blogs that you enjoy that will swap buttons with you. (setting up a passion fruit account is a good idea).

    I agree with Karla...it's not the number of followers...it's the number of readers that matters. To tell you the truth I have just went crazy on the blog following but I'm slowly weeding out the ones that I really don't have anything in common with (sorry to those bloggers).
    If you need any more help feel free to email me and I'll try to help you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm following back! :) This is a really good post because it is legit. I was blogging for almost a year just to post it to my personal FB for family and friends when I realized there is this whole blogging world! I have 149 followers I think and I got that from blog hops basically. Some people BUY ads on other blogs, but I'm not going to spend money on it; that's not for me. I was afraid of the same thing as you at first, though- that nobody would give me a chance because when I first started blog hopping I had only 8 followers! That's not really how it works, though- if you seem interesting or people like your posts or even if they want you to follow them back they will follow you regardless. It just takes some time and several different hops. For a while I followed every blog I came across and commented all the time to get followers, but then I realized it was pointless to follow blogs that didn't interest me. But don't worry- your blog will grow, just give it time! Oh, and don't worry about what everyone else would want you to write- writing what is on your mind and heart is always the best way and makes the best posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right - hoping for follow-backs tends to be a bit of a hit-and-miss proposition. But, there's nothing better than having actual readers. I love looking at my feedjit feed and seeing, OK, I have a regular from Riverside, CA, or from New Castle, PA, or from Toronto and so on. That is, people who actually read and are motivated to comment. That's what I really like, even if it means after a year my followers have only just got to double-figures. So, just keep blogging what you love and it'll find its own proper form!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me how you really feel! I love to hear from you so don't be afraid to give me an ear full, thanks for stopping by!