Nov 28, 2012

The Day After

So as I promised yesterday, this post will include multiple recipes and be fully photo overloaded. You have been warned! I was going to post this earlier today but I started blog hopping and got fully obsessed with this blog and this blog. Sorry!

Here is how I made my super cool wedding photo wall that I previewed yesterday:
Wooden plaques were about $3 at Hobby Lobby
I had the craft paint I used on hand





 After they were painted I let them sit for about a week while I waited for the pictures. They were fully dry after 24 hours. I'm going to add that while painting these we experimented with the child gates we bought to help potty train our puppy. He is too smart and figured out how to jump over them within a half hour. Ridiculous.



Once I got my pictures the next step was to press them over top of the plaque so I had an outline to cut out. I used 8x10 photos for the plaques but if you want more color to show I would suggest smaller photos.





I modge podged the pictures onto the plaques. I was going to modge podge over the tops to seal them but I was afraid of ruining the picture. I will have to do some more research, maybe I will do this later.



All the plaques finished! I used Command picture hanging strips to hang these up. I used the medium sized strips and only used one per plaque. So far they haven't fallen down so I think one is sufficient.




 Just a reference photo to show about how big the display is on the wall. When I came home from class today I smiled because this was the first thing I saw. I. Am. In. Love. (Thanks to my super beautiful soon-to-be sister for unknowingly being the example in my tutorial!)

On to my next project! I made key lime pie bars because they are my husband's favorite but I cheated and used a kit. Since I used a kit this is the only photo I took of them and as you can see I had to stop him from eating one until I got a photo. "FOR THE BLOG!" I proclaimed as he rolled his eyes.



Next baking project came from my food board on Pinterest! I found the tutorial here and let me say it is delicious!

Ingredients:

  • 8 c. popped popcorn
  • 1 c. miniature marshmallows
  • 3/4 c. chocolate candies, divided
  • 1 1/2 c. fudge mint cookies, chopped & divided ( I used the cheapest kind I could find and didn't even use a whole package)
  • 1 1/2 c. white chocolate chips
  • 1 tsp. shortening
  • 1/4 c. green candy melts
  • 3 Tbsp. sprinkles
I skipped the candy melts and the sprinkles but you can sure add them if you want it to look pretty.

Make the popcorn (it was just about 1 full bag of popcorn) then throw in marshmallows, chocolate candies, and mint cookies. The recipe said to save some of both for toppings but I'm giving some of mine away for Christmas and I didn't care if it looked pretty or not. Melt chocolate chips and shortening in the microwave stirring every 30 seconds. Be careful not to overcook because then it gets all chunky and dry. Pour chocolate mix over popcorn mix and stir until fully coated. Spread out on wax paper to dry. Enjoy!






(sorry for the poor photos, working on getting a dslr and improving my skills!)

Final baking project from yesterday:

Another recipe from Pinterest that I was interested in trying. I've been having a mint obsession lately so I thought I would try a peppermint recipe. Freaking greatest cookie bars ever! The recipe came from here.

Ingredients:
Cookies:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
5 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup crushed or chopped after-dinner butter mints

Frosting:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
½ teaspoon peppermint extract
Pinch of salt
4 cups confectioners’ sugar
2 to 4 tablespoons milk
Food coloring, if desired
½ cup crushed peppermints or candy canes

I didn't have confectioners' sugar so I just used store bought frosting instead of this recipe.

Combine flour, salt, and baking soda then set aside. Cream together sugar and butter. Add eggs one at a time mixing thoroughly in between. Mix in vanilla then slowly add flour mix to butter mix until just mixed together. Stir in chopped peppermint pieces. Bake at 375 for 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely then frost.






 I'm awful at scraping a bowl completely clean...maybe it's because I like licking the bowl when I'm done!

MMM now that you're drooling over the screen I'll be done with this post. I'll be baking more later this week so stay tuned.

xoxo Mandy

2 comments:

  1. WOW love how the wooden plaques turned out. Amazing job!
    Btw, I'm holding a Firmoo Giveaway on my blog, maybe you would like to take part http://deebiku.blogspot.ro/2012/12/international-firmoo-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I'll head over and check things out!

      Delete

Tell me how you really feel! I love to hear from you so don't be afraid to give me an ear full, thanks for stopping by!